Why do we love lists? Lists help us remember things and make abstract ideas concrete. In the spirit of list-making, every Monday of this month I will compile and publish lists of the many exceptional blog posts from thought leaders on the topics of content marketing and white papers. For this first week in May, I have compiled a list of how to’s for Content Marketing that are relevant if you are creating, marketing whitepapers and eBooks or for that matter any type of content.
Blog posts on Content Marketing
How To Create A Content Marketing Strategy
What are the questions to consider when creating any type of content? Rohit Bhargava gives a useful checklist of questions you should ask yourself in his blog post How To Create A Content Marketing Strategy
- What is the problem you will try to solve?
- Who’s going to care to read your content and share it?
- What’s the best platform and format to use for your content?
- How will you promote your content?
How to master Better Business Blog Writing
Patsi Krakoff in her blog post Content Marketing on Your Blog: How to master Better Business Blog Writing shares her insights on what it means to do content marketing on your business blog.
- Connect and build relationships with readers
- Tell personal stories and share experiences
- Relate to the problems and experiences of readers
- Provide solutions generously
How to Sell Successfully Online by Understanding and Engaging with Your Buyer Personas
One of the important goals of creating content is to attract customers and prospects. It is important to understand buyers’ concerns and how you can help them. Newt Barrett in his blog post How to Sell Successfully Online by Understanding and Engaging with Your Buyer Personas points out that understanding your buyer’s conerns will lead you to tell stories that are very powerful . You can use this key lesson to engage your ideal target reader by creating compelling content for their most important informational needs.
- If you really understand your buyers’ concerns and how you can help them, you can tell stories that are powerful
- How can you engage the buyer personas of your ideal target audience with compelling content that addresses their most important needs?
- Provide strong visual elements that illustrate buyer personas and their individual challenges and concerns
How to Use Content to Find Customers
In her blog post How to Use Content to Find Customers, Sonia Simone recommends that you make your content like a birthday cake – content that’s exciting, that feels special and that tastes good.
- Mention your customer’s pain points and give solutions
- Tell stories that resolve possible objections
How to Create the All-Important Elevator Speech For Your Presentations and for Your Content Marketing
What should be the goal when creating any content? Yes, focus should always be on the audience. Newt Barrett’s blog post on How To Create the All-Important Elevator Speech For Your Presentations and for Your Content Marketing is on the applicability of the elevator speech to marketing and focusing on the audience.
The following key components of an excellent elevator pitch will also make a great white paper or eBook.
- It must contain a benefit for the potential member of the audience
- It must contain the word you, meaning the audience
- It must contain some reference to emotion, because emotion is more engaging and memorable than intellectual information
How to Plan for, Create and Publish Online Content for Maximum ROI
Gretel Going’s post on creating online content is very applicable to creating any other type of content as well. She says that content is all about your customer. It is not what a marketer thinks is important i.e., to talk about their product or services. Content should always be about the reader’s informational need. Gretel Going outlines a brief content strategy and recommends that you map content creation to specific goals in her blog post Live from OMS: How to Plan for, Create and Publish Online Content for Maximum ROI
- Content is always about what the reader needs or wants, not about the company
- Content strategy isn’t just deciding what you’re going to include; it’s deciding what you’re going to leave out
- Identify who is responsible for providing, reviewing, and approving the content before writing begins
How to Integrate Social Media into Product Marketing
If you are wondering how to promote your whitepaper or eBook checkout Hutch Carpenter’s list on how to use social media tools for promoting any type of content. How to Integrate Social Media into Product Marketing
- Promote your content by leveraging social media
Blog posts on writing creative, great content
How to Write Remarkably Creative Content
One of the important goals of creating content is to attract customers and prospects. How do you create good, compelling content? The next set of blog posts share views on writing creative, great content. Are you creating a white paper that seems too bland and too abstract? Stop – think creatively about how to present the material in such a way that is engaging to the reader. Look at it from the reader’s perspective. Brian Clark says that writing creatively is an adaptive process by looking at things differently. How to Write Remarkably Creative Content
How to Create Better Content With Constraints
Brian Clark recommends you to use constraints when writing rather than start with a “blank page” approach. How to Create Better Content With Constraints. How does this advise apply to writing a white paper? Use a framework. Start with a template. First write the title and then come up with an outline.
How to Create Remarkable Content When There’s Nothing New Under the Sun
James Chartrand recommends using ‘your own voice to write’ in his blog post How to Create Remarkable Content When There’s Nothing New Under the Sun. Another tip – give lots of examples in your white papers.
How to Be Interesting
Jonathan Morrow has 21 great tips on how to write interestingly in his blog post How to Be Interesting. My favorite is this – Put your readers first.
How to Rewrite Content for Reuse
When creating different types of white papers (user guides, brochures, FAQ) of documents how do you reuse content. Pamela Kostur has a great post on how to do modular writing in her blog postHow to Rewrite Content for Reuse
Key takeaways –
- Modular writing requires defining what your modules are, describing how they are structured and how to write them.
- Determining where content will be reused and thinking about how it will be structured for reuse is the beginning of your information architecture.
- Before writing, plan ahead for reusing content
How Twitter Makes You A Better Writer
Jennifer Blanchard gives 3 reasons that tweeting make you a better writer in her blog post How Twitter Makes You A Better Writer. Use twitter and learn to:
- Write Concisely
- Exercise your vocabulary
- Improve your editing skills
I hope you have found this list useful. No list is by any means exhaustive. Please add to this list.