Why will small businesses get better and better at content marketing and do more and more of it in 2010 and beyond? We asked Newt Barett “What are key marketing trends and predictions for 2010? What actions should marketers take in 2010?”. Newt Barett is the President and Chief Content Officer of Content Marketing Strategies, a Division of Voyager Media. He is also a leading thinker and evangelist for content marketing.
“Small businesses can measure results precisely – so they will get better at content marketing and do more of it”
Newt Barrett’s Marketing Prediction for 2010
For the first time, one third or more of small business marketing dollars will move away from traditional marketing and advertising move into content marketing efforts. Both b2c and b2b marketers will follow this path.
This means that the relevant and compelling content that small businesses deliver directly to buyers will be vital to sustain and to grow sales. Almost all of their content marketing will be online in formats including traditional websites, blog-powered websites, standalone blogs, eBooks, whitepapers, podcasts, videos, and social media. Because small businesses can measure results precisely, they will get better and better at content marketing and do more and more of it in 2010 and beyond.
Newt Barrett’s Marketing Action for 2010
For those marketers who are behind the content marketing curve, they must:
- evaluate the tangible results of what they are doing now. Stop doing what isn’t working immediately
- evaluate the successes of their competitors who have already made the move to content marketing
- establish a comprehensive, measurable content marketing strategy with a provable ROI
- allocate at least as much money as they have been spending on ineffective traditional marketing to content marketing
- integrate social media fully into their strategy
- assign or hire the right talent to implement that strategy. If internal resources are unavailable or unaffordable, there is a wealth of freelance talent to help implement the strategy
Over to you…
Get a bit of inspiration and no-nonsense marketing straight-talk from 38 other B2B marketers, e-mail marketers and social media gurus.